Is Linux VPS Hosting Right For You?
Date posted: June 1, 2010
If you are going to run a single blog about your dog, then Linux VPS hosting may be overkill. However, if you are serious about your hosting needs and you plan on running a large website or multiple websites, a Linux VPS hosting plan is exactly what you need. Shared hosting is inexpensive and works well for small websites, but you get what you pay for. Many shared hosting servers are jam-packed with hundreds, if not thousands of other customers and you have to share the server resources with them. Security and privacy are also big concerns on a shared hosting account. On the other hand, you could go with a dedicated server and you will be the only person on the server, but that will cost you hundreds of dollars per month. With Linux VPS hosting, you only share the server with a few customers and because the server is virtually divided, you don’t have to share the server resources.
If you can relate to the following statements, then Linux VPS hosting should be perfect for you.
- “I don’t feel comfortable hosting my business website on a server that contains thousands of other customers.”
- “I can’t afford a dedicated server, but I would like to have the flexibility and security of a dedicated server.”
- “My site is bogged down and I need more system resources to make things run smoothly.”
- “I need to run a script on the server that is not supported on a shared web hosting account.”
- “I know what I’m doing, or I would like to learn and I need root access.”
The last statement from above brings up a good point. You don’t have to be a master server admin to consider virtual server hosting. Even if you don’t know what you’re doing, many VPS web hosts like ServInt will setup everything for you and will assist you will anything you need in the future.